Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My OBSESSION with Lush Cosmetics: A review/accolade

A crazy rant.


Hi Guys! I have a confession to make : Hi, my name is Haley and I am a beauty junkie (please forgive me for using such a horrendously annoying term). When I first began to get into blogging, about two years ago, I wanted to make a beauty blog. I've always been a humongous beauty nerd, and semi-hoarder (okay, full on hoarder) of beauty products. That didn't really pan out at the time, as, like many people, my first blog was a giant flop. I'm pretty sure I posted about three times before giving up and starting anew with this fashion/inspiration/whatever blog. Don't get me wrong, I love fashion, and it is a big part of my life. I'm a both a fashion magazine and online shopping addict. The embarrassing part is, I only buy the stuff about half of the time, the other half just get's stuck in my wish list (not that I care, I like editing and picking out just the right things to put in my shopping bag as much if not more than actually buying it!). But, beauty is also a huge obsession of mine, that I haven't really shared on this blog that much. I'm going to be changing that!

So, I thought I 'd start off with a part review, part testimonial of the Lush Cosmetics brand. For those of you who haven't heard of Lush, it is a Brit based cosmetics company, whose products are pretty much all organic, cruelty free, ethically sourced, good for the world goodness. They, unlike many "organic" cosmetics brands, seem genuinely interested in bettering the world, and do a lot of extra "world bettering" on the side. This video basically explains their whole brand. What's also really cool is the products themselves, because, besides being all organic and minimally packaged and amazing, they're fresh. You heard me (well actually, no, you didn't, but who cares...), fresh. I mean like, they have a "food-like" expiration date fresh. It's pretty awesome to think about the fact that what you're putting on your face is so close to the earth, so you know you're not putting on a bunch of random chemicals and preservatives. Of course, the expiration date obviously has some drawbacks, as it means things can have to get tossed out while there's still product in them, depending on how often you use them, but honestly, I've used the products past their expiration date, and noticed pretty much zero difference. So I don't know how binding that expiration date is...



Anyways, you can pretty much already tell I love Lush. They're products are original and fun (they're solid shampoo bars and toothpaste are GREAT for travel), and they're made with great stuff. So, without further ado...here are some of my favorites, in no particular order, and some of the things I REALLY want to try (I'll do another post once I try them).

Favorites:

1) Cupcake Face Mask: This is a chocolate and mint face mask for oiler, teenage, acne prone skin. I REALLY liked it. First of all, it smells AMAZING! And the scent stays with you, even after the mask is off. It also contains rhassoul mud, which really cleans out all the gunk in my skin. This one is really nice, and super fun to use. It works great, and I highly recommend it. My skin feels so soft and clean afterwards, and smells awesome. Plus, this mask has a nice consistency and smell, unlike some of their other masks, such as the one I'm about to bring up...
Cupcake
2) Cosmetic Warrior Face Mask: This face mask is also for oily, acne prone skin. However, this is better for easily irritated skin, as it's main claim to fame is that it treats all your acne, without over drying and making your skin flip out. I used this over the winter, when my skin tends to be a bit dry, but still spotty, and it did a really great job of treating the acne without aggravating the dryness like some other masks do. It really made me consider the idea of using more natural cleansers and treatments, as they seem very effective, and less scary. There is however one drawback: It smells.....funky. This mask is made from garlic, tea tree oil, honey and egg whites. The honey and egg moisturize, while the tea tree treats acne, and the garlic acts as an antiseptic. These are all awesome, powerful ingredients, but they lead to a smell that may be a bit unsavory. The mask looks equally unsavory (don't trust the online picture, mine looked nothing like that), and is kind of weird to put on, as it has some chunks in it. I promise you though, if you can stand it, it's worth it. Your skin will thank you!
Cosmetic Warrior
3) Jumping Juniper Shampoo Bar: I'll be honest, this is the only solid shampoo bar I'v ever tried, but still, it's really cool! My hair generally gets pretty oily after a day, so I usually end up washing twice just to de-gunk everything. This bar, which was surprisingly easy to use, got everything out in one wash. It smells amazing, and lathers very nicely. The really handy things is, you just rub the bar wherever you need shampoo, so there's no annoying process where you have to work the shampoo through your hair, like most shampoos. However, a word to the wise: buy a shampoo bar tin (they sell them), or cover it up somehow. Mine melted a lot just from being unprotected in my shower, and that definitely wasted it.  Otherwise, this is a great product, check them all out, I'm sure they're great!

Jumping Juniper
Wish List:

1) I Love Juicy Shampoo                   2) Enzymion Moisturizer                 3) Mud Flats Soap


Enzymion    Mud Flats

4) Mint Julips Lip Scrub                   5) Big Shampoo                             6) Ocean Salt Face/Body Scrub

Mint Julips    Big      

             








No comments:

Post a Comment