Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Bit of An Update

Hello Everyone! Seeing as I have been out of commission for a year now (though I continued to tumblr and pinterest throughout my hiatus), I should probably fill you guys in. As I said before, my blog was confronted with a copyrighting issue that very nearly turned into a legal battle, which made me very afraid to blog for a long time. Even after the issue was settled, and I had found a new name for my blog, I remained disenchanted with blogger and stayed away. I continued to write through other mediums, posting on tumblr on a near daily basis and contributing to blogs in my local area (I was even featured on the Fashion Week of Rochester blog!!!). After a very protracted absence, I've finally decided that I miss having my own blog too much. I miss my readers and I miss having this creative outlet.

I never really talked about this much in the past, as I kept the topic of the blog pretty strictly fashion-specific (which will probably end up changing), but it has been my goal for many years now to work in journalism. For a long time I was convinced that I belonged in fashion journalism, and I still love fashion and love writing, reading, and talking about it, but I have opened up to more mainstream journalism as well. Basically, I'm in love with it all. There is nothing more amazing than learning about how the world works, going behind the scenes, and making knowledge accessible to everyone. How cool is that?!

Unfortunately, there is no newspaper at my school. Editing for the literary magazine (I love reading other people's work) and collaborating with the yearbook committee has been fun, but I would really love to have a more concrete journalistic perspective at my school. We do technically have a sort of parent newsletter, but there are so many amazing student voices and opinions at my tiny private school (some might say too many), and it is such a shame that those voices aren't always heard, even simply by the administration. The problem, however, is that many of these people love to talk about the issues, but have not been very interested in the idea of actually having to write about them. In addition, the teachers and administration have not been very encouraging of my repeated requests for permission to start a school paper, even on a trial basis.

My new year's resolution is to write more (hence restarting the blog), but I'm really hoping I can add creating my school's first newspaper to that list. Writing and journalism are so important to me, and there is just so much not being properly publicized happening in my school's tiny community alone. We shall see what happens.

Finally, as I am currently in my junior year of high school, I have been thrust full force into the search for the perfect journalism school. For my parents, that school will always be Cornell, no matter what major I am interested in. Personally, I have been dreaming of going to Northwestern for many years. Their journalism school is one of the best in the country (read: impossible to get accepted to). I've been hoping to get into their high school summer journalism program ever since I read about it several years ago, but I'm now being faced with the crippling anxiety that I won't get in. Many of the people accepted there are editors of high school newspapers and the like, an opportunity I just don't have. Granted, I do have you, my lovely readers, and the other blogs that have been generous enough to accept me, but that just doesn't seem like enough.

Regardless, I am sending in my application, and staying positive. Whether I get in or not, this is my year to improve my writing and really focus on journalism. I have you guys to thank for inspiring me to refocus and redouble my efforts, so really, thank you. Your comments and your readership keeps me going on days when I feel like no one is listening. So, I'm officially back. Get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment